Male Urinary Incontinence Treatment in The Villages, FL
What is Male Urinary Incontinence?
Urinary incontinence refers to the loss of bladder control or leaking of urine. Although this condition is more common in women, 25% of males can also have this condition.
Luckily, incontinence is not just a normal sign of aging that you have to live with. There are many treatment options available to give you the relief you need.
You don’t have to live with urinary incontinence. For men in the Mount Dora area, urologist Jack Cassell, MD, PA is here to help. Contact us today at (352) 383-3773 to get started with treatment. You can also request an appointment through our secure online form. Our urology clinic is a short drive from The Villages and Apopka.
What are Common Types of Urinary Incontinence?
There are many reasons, causes, and ways that your bladder can lose control. When you have urinary incontinence, your bladder isn’t holding or releasing urine the way it should.
This can happen because:
- Your brain doesn’t signal your bladder correctly
- You have a blockage in your urinary system
- The muscles around your bladder aren’t working well
If you are leaking urine when you are doing an activity and something puts pressure on your bladder, this is known as stress incontinence.
If you have a sudden and overwhelming need to urinate, this is known as urge incontinence or overactive bladder.
If you’re unable to completely empty your bladder and you leak, this is overflow incontinence.
There may be a mix of types of incontinence depending on your condition and symptoms.
How Does Incontinence Impact Men?
If you have incontinence, it is usually a long-term condition so it is best to talk to your provider or urologist.
These issues are often related to prostate problems or treatments for them. If your prostate is enlarged, it can be caused by aging or cancer and lead to overactive bladder symptoms.
What Treatment Options are Available for Incontinence?
As a male, you don’t have to live with this uncomfortable condition. It can be embarrassing and negatively impact your daily life. You do not need to rearrange your activities because of incontinence.
We have many treatment options available for you to give you relief.
Some common treatments include:
- A physical exam with your provider
- A urine test or other tests to determine the underlying causes
- Discuss lifestyle changes that may help such as:
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Strengthening your pelvic floor muscles
- Reduce caffeine, carbonation, or alcohol
- Stop smoking
- Recommend medications that can give you relief
- Some relax the muscles to help prevent unwanted contractions of the bladder
- Some block the nerve signals to the bladder that make it contract at the wrong time
- Drugs prescribed to shrink an enlarged prostate can help with other urinary problems
- If necessary, give you surgical options to evaluate based on the severity of Nerve stimulation for OAB – implanting a small device under the skin near the tailbone that sends electrical impulses to the nerves going to the bladder by controlling bladder contractions
- Sling surgery for severe urinary incontinence – places a sling under the bulb part of the urethra and is secured to bone or muscle helping it resist pressure from the abdomen
- Adding an artificial sphincter – places a silicone device around the urethra that acts like the sphincter muscle
- Urethral bulking – closing a hole in the urethra or thickening its wall by adding material to it to prevent leaking
- Ongoing evaluation and discussion
Trust Us With Treating Your Urinary Incontinence in The Villages, FL
Many men fail to get evaluated and treated for urinary incontinence. A simple phone call can get you on track to get the relief you need. Don’t delay and live with uncomfortable symptoms and urges. At Urology of Mount Dora, we are highly trained to help you heal from urinary incontinence. Give us a call today at (352) 383-3773! Our urology clinic is just a short drive from Apopka and The Villages.